I woke up with that crazy bubbly feeling . . . like those butterflies when you are first falling in love.
It has happened two mornings in a row and for no particular reason – just an accumulation of events, people, happenings, I guess I’m just that excited to be part of so many things. Excited to create the day, to make stuff, connect with others, move forward … crazy, like I’m falling in love with life.
I know the other days well enough, but I’ll take these ones as a sign that whatever I’m doing, focusing on, whatever I’m dreaming, whatever attitude I’m operating with is working well for me. I’ve got a little bounce in my step and I feel light.
I think subconsciously this question has created some small but significant shifts….
I’ve been asked a few times this past year (at workshops, in books) to imagine that I have a documentary film crew or a keen teenager following me around for the day – How would I spend my time? How do I create my day?
Here’s a snapshot of Marlene’s perfect day:
- Up early – Hot Shower
- Lemon tea (hot water & lemon juice from ½ lemon)
- Meditation & Journaling (on my biomat, by my picture window looking out at the mountains & the ocean – pinch me).
- Teach & Practice Yoga (with lovely souls – we drink tea and laugh often).
- Breakfast & My 1st coffee – this is an event to be celebrated because it is made by my husband, Patrick and it is divine.
- Go down to my Studio
- Paint and drink tea, repeat, repeat, repeat…
- Return upstairs (to my fireplace, friendly cats, more tea & family)
- Write, plan and dream a little
- Check in with emails & in with the virtual world (FB, Instagram, Pinterest & all those fun people out there doing amazing things that inspire me daily).
- A few chores and dinner prep (who am I kidding – Patrick is the chef) I clean up
- Spend time with my people – a little hike or canoe, or maybe a TED talk…
- Unwind with a good book (in the bath)
- Early bed
Now, this is NOT how I spend every day but I’m taking the small steps, making the little shifts and I’ve had few days like this one. Yippee!
How would you spend your day? What needs to shift so that you too can fall in love?
Can I be of assistance?
Meditation – I made a 5 minute offering – it is a big file so expect a long download, time it out with your coffee :).
Do you just need to play? – Come Paint with Me ….
Patrick’s coffee?? – I’d have to work on that one!
Books I’m reading (I always have several on the go) recently read or are waiting for me:
- Fear – Thich Naht Hahn
- Die Empty – Todd Henry
- The Art of Communicating – Thich Nhat Hanh
- The Rise – Sarah Lewis
- Show Your Work – Austin Kleon (Steal Like An Artist is great too)
- Emily Carr (Collected)
- The Signature of All Things – Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Field – Lynne McTaggart
- You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness – Jen Sincero (my 17 year old daughter gave this to me!)
Please post your book list, I love collecting recommendations. I’d also like to hear about your “shifts” – what do you do, how are you committed to creating your day?